Thursday, March 6, 2008

Just a day at the hospital

Well, I'm sitting here watching Lost listening to the steady pump of IV fluids going into my arm. Hubby left a little while ago to put the kidlets to bed. I figured it would happen but I guess I had just hoped I could avoid it. I went and got myself dehydrated, but thankfully only slightly. My doc basically left it up to me to whether or not I was going to get this done, and he assured me that I would only be here until later tonight. So far, I've got about an hour left on my IV and then I can go home.

I had delicious hospital rice, applesauce, an unripened banana, and two pieces of toast. Talk about the dinner of champions. Overall, not a bad deal. I've been blessed with a wonderful family who took my kids readily and I haven't had to worry about them once although I've missed them like crazy. I've been here for about 5 and a half hours and while I'm going stir crazy, I'm going to consider that a good thing.

Bad news is Chicken is getting sicker. Not with this virus but with his congestion. All of a sudden yesterday he developed a horrible cough and now he cries each time he coughs. I'm afraid as long as he's been congested, he's going to get bronchitis or pneumonia or something. I just don't know how to deal with sick babies. I don't know when to worry or when to relax. He doesn't have a fever so I don't know if that's a good thing or not a good indicator. ARGH! I'm more worried about him right now than anything. I've peed enough to last a week in the last 5 1/2 hours so I'm convinced I'm thoroughly hydrated enough for me AND an elephant for awhile. Now, if Chicken would get well, I might could enjoy life again!

Say a prayer for him! I think this is the sickest I've seen kids this winter because all of our friends around us are sick, too!


Anonymous said...

It's been a bad winter for sickness. All 3 of us have been more sick than we have ever been this winter. I am glad you were able to et hydrated. I hope Chicken gets to feeling better. I wouldn't hurt to take him to the doctor. Tyler had a terrible cough this winter and I took him after 3 days of it. She said it wasn't in his chest, but told me what to listen for and to bring him back if it got worse. If you have insurance, I think it is better to over react than let them get too sick. Hope this weekend turns out to be a better start to next week.

Mandy said...

What a trooper!!! Laying in a hospital bed with an iv in your arm, still writing a blog!!! You are too funny. I think once your kidlets are in school you need to pursue a job in journalism. ;) We all know what other kind of stories you are good at writing. You've got SKILL girl!!