Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's just simply time.

Has anyone ever noticed how opinionated some people can be?  I mean, half my friends - wait, who am I kidding? - all of my friends would categorize me in the opinionated column, but why do people deem it necessary to PUSH it on you?

If there's one thing I do when I offer my opinion on something, I ALWAYS tell someone before hand that it's just that - my opinion.  I never expect them to adhere to it, to take my advice or even listen to me.  I'm just not that kind of person.  I hope my friends know that I'm never meaning to be pushy or arrogant.  I'm sure most of them do know that, but I'm on record here, just so they know now if they didn't before.  Make sense?

There are about to be changes taking part in my life.  BIG changes.  As in, I'm joining a gym.  I'm spending more time away from home after the kids go down for bed at 7 pm.  I'm going to network with other writers.  I'm going to write.  It's a lot to accomplish in some 3 hours every evening before I keel over from exhaustion, but it's just time.  I've complained until I'm blue in the face about what's wrong.  Now it's time to make it right.  I think in the long run, I'll be happier.

I can either sit on my butt and be like my mother - overweight, miserable and depressed my whole life - or I can do something about it.  Yes, I'm going to complain about how tired I am, more than likely.  I might even feel that there's no relaxation time, but you know what?  I don't care anymore.  I've got to get some semblance of a life back.  Make some friends that will actually go out and do something with me, maybe even meet some other writers that dream the same things I dream about.  It would be nice to do that, I think.

However, I'm pretty sure there will be "opinions" about that.  Am I shirking my duties as a wife and mother?  No, because being a wife and mother will always be first in my world, even before me.  Am I prepared for the life being a novelist entails?  Probably not, but I'll never know unless I do it.  Do I really want to lose those 20 pounds I've been harping about for 8 years now?  Oh yessssssss.

Hi.  Nice to meet you.  I'm Stephanie.  This year is MY year.  Keep your opinions to yourself, please.

7 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Well...here's what I think. No? You don't want to hear it. Fine!

(Kidding)

Good luck with the gym and the writing.

Stephanie said...

I think that's a great plan! You are not skipping out on your duties either as far as I'm concerned. Taking care of yourself is a high priority. I wish I could get some of your motivation.

Unknown said...

Good for you! Definitely not skipping out on your family to take care of yourself. Like 7 pm is ideal for you, right? No, but that is the time you chose because you can still take care of your family and take care of the things that are important to you. You are going to be a better wife and mommy because you are giving yourself some much deserved attention. It won't be long before you all notice a difference in the dynamics of your family. You know what they say, "If mama ain't happy..."

Mandy said...

I love it!!! I need to follow your lead!!!!

I think I'm going to figure out a way that I can have some me time too. You have inspired me (along with my mother telling me every five minutes).

And I sure hope your Mama doesn't read your blog. ;)

Suzy B said...

Good for you!

I have noticed that I am a much better mother & wife when I take care of myself :)

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

You go girl! That's the only opinion I have;)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Do it! Oh, wait. Don't do it! Oh, wait.
Do what you feel is right! Or...don't. LOL!
Good luck dropping the weight. :)