Monday, January 12, 2009

Cupcake needs prayers...

Sorry about the delay in posting.  Much has been going on since I was around last.

Cupcake got sick last Thursday, running a fever and acting like she felt horrible.  I figured it was more of the same of this stupid stomach bug we've all had.  She's the only one I wasn't sure had gotten it.  I gave her motrin and sent her to bed.  Friday, my sister in law was watching the kids while I was at a doctors appointment (stupid UTI's!!!) and called me to say I should take Cupcake to the doc.  Her coloring was bad, she was breathing heavy and fast, and her fever had gone up.  At the pediatrician's office, they drew blood.  That seemed to indicate an infection.  Since she's not congested and her ears looked good, the doc catheterized her and drew urine.  Sure enough, the kid has a kidney infection.

It's rare for a kid that's not even 6 months to have one.  I immediately started panicking when she mentioned that she was going to have to put Cupcake through some tests.  She thinks she has kidney reflux (When urine goes back up into the kidney's from the bladder) but we won't know until after the tests are done, probably some time after her well visit on the 21st.  Several people at church told me yesterday that they knew kids who had this and outgrew it without any long term damage.  I sincerely hope so, it's very disconcerting to feel like my kid might have a chronic illness until her body outgrows it.  Apparently treatment for this is a low dose antibiotic, long term until she outgrows it.  It's not guaranteed that she has it, but it seems likely since she's so young with this type of infection.

At the moment, she's responding well to the antibiotics, so we're avoiding a hospital visit.  If she relapses from it, we might wind up there, but I hope not.  Finding a babysitter is difficult these days!

4 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, no...I will keep you guys in my prayers. I hope that it isn't the case with Cupcake and that she gets better ASAP.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Oh, poor sweet baby, that makes me hurt. Prayers going out!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I wish we lived closer! I'd babysit for ya in heartbeat.
Praying for you and her.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Cupcake. I will keep her and you all in my prayers.