Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Opinions are like rear ends...everyone's got 'em and some are bigger than others

It's hard not to get caught up in the glamour and glitz of the inauguration.  I, in fact, feel a sense of pride that our country has moved forward from racism and partiality enough to elect a black president.  He's svelte, eloquent and smooth but I can't wait to see if he's more than that.  I truly hope he doesn't disappoint these millions of people who are looking at him with stars in their eyes.

Someone on Dr. Phil said it best yesterday.  You can go in a store right now and purchase a Barack Obama shirt with sequins and hopeful messages all over them.  This man has become a celebrity, not a President.  While watching the inauguration procession today, it reminded me of when Princess Diana died.  The millions of people lining the streets.  People crying at the sight of the car.  The paparazzi going crazy.  I found I was sad.  Maybe it's wrong of me not to give the man the benefit of the doubt.  I maintain he seems like a family oriented decent man, politics aside.  He doesn't seem spiteful or mean.  But I guess over the next few years we'll see what he's made of.

Let's hope he remembers, too, that he's the President of the United States and not Elvis.

3 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Personally, I'm not a fan of what he stands for, but I think that he doesn't make it what all of those people crying there made it, either. (Does that make sense). I don't think he sees himself as a rock star....at least, I hope he doesn't!!!!

OHmommy said...

I had the same thoughts today as I saw pics of people selling gear all around the white house.

Is this a concert?

Jennifer Shirk said...

I agree. He seems decent enough--except his radical views on abortion. But I do wonder if people think he's truly capable of walking on water. They might be in for a quite a let down.
That being said, I do hope for our country's sake, he does well.