Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Picture by Yours Truly

“Have you ever loved someone so much it hurts?”


I nodded and swallowed, not believing that he was actually going to tell me - a virtual stranger - about something so personal.


“I didn’t know her until about this time two years ago.  She came into my life like a tornado.  By the time I realized I couldn’t let her go, she was already gone.  I’ve never felt that helpless.  Never.  I watched the only person I’ve ever really loved waste away with cancer.  But what hurts even more than that, if it’s possible, was her spirit.  You wouldn’t believe the amount of spunk.” 

 

But I could.


“And I watched that die, too,” he added softly.


Silent tears streamed down my face and from the sound of Nicholas’s voice, he was crying, too.  He sniffed and exhaled against my hair.  “Sorry,” he apologized.  “I’m a wreck tonight.  Today is her birthday.  She couldn’t wait for her birthday.  She said it made her wiser.”  His grin echoed in his voice.


“What was her name?”  I asked even though I knew the answer.


“Emily,” he whispered.



For those of you who don't know, I resolve to make this year MY year to get published.  It's not completely in my hands, but I'm going to do everything possible, starting with this story.  It has the potential to be huge.  I just have to make sure I don't mess it up.  What are your thoughts on this?  If you read this on the inside cover, would you want to read more?  BE HONEST.

4 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I just read your email, then popped over here...I would totally read this!! You must keep me posted!

Anonymous said...

it definitely sounds like something i'd read. i've always had it on my "bucket list" to publish something, but have yet to actually work toward it. good luck with it!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I would definitely read it!! I am so excited for you. Good luck!!!

Jennifer Shirk said...

It's awesome. :)