Monday, April 14, 2008

Potty Training

So, I was one of those mom's who foolishly believed I would stick to potty training at an early age.  My goal was to have Punky potty trained by 12 months using the methods outlined in the Baby Whisperer.  Above is a picture of Punky at 10 months old using the potty.  Believe it or not, I think this definitely aided in the process because by 11 or 12 months, she KNEW what she was doing.  She regularly peed and pooped in the potty and identified it.  Not on command mind you, but I watched her signs and took her when I thought she needed to go.  

That was over a year ago.  I'm still buying diapers and I'm still trying to convince her that BIG GIRLS pee pee in the potty.  Today, I've began the "cold turkey" technique and she's been in big girl panties all day.  So far no accidents, but she hasn't gone in over 2 hours so I know it's coming.  If she tells me, it'll be a miracle.  She's been showing signs of being ready...telling me 2 or 3 times a day she needs to go and actually going, trying to take her diaper off after she poops because she's uncomfortable.

Of course, I'm about to have three in diapers if I can't get her potty trained, so I really want to get this done before #3 comes along.  Punky is capable, I know.  She's just lazy like every other 2 year old and would rather play with her toys than waste her time sitting on the potty.  Chicken is 13 months old and been put on the potty ONCE in his entire life.  I have a feeling it's going to be bad when I have to start with him since I hear boys are much harder.  I guess we'll see.

Say a prayer for us.  Potty training isn't as easy as I imagined.  I thought once they were ready, they'd just decide to tell you and that would be that.  I didn't anticipate all the accidents, the stubbornness, or the tears.  I have, however, enlisted the help of gummy bears to keep her interested and so far so good with that.  I'm sure we'll have to change it up occasionally to make sure she maintains interest.  Here's to pee pee and poo poo in the potty!!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

oh good luck! I am nervous for the day that I will haev to potty train my girl :)

A couple of cute kiddos said...

I will pray for yours if you pray for mine. Ha-ha!!! Mine is trying for jellybeans. :)

Kendra said...

How adorable is that photo! I am potty training my last baby right now. Good luck to ya ~ I know how it can be.