Thursday, April 17, 2008

Warning: Sappiness below

These days have been filled with the moments I always envisioned before I was a mother.  Punky has begun getting out of her toddler bed and coming into our room when she wakes up every morning.  I've never let her sleep in our bed just for the sake of sleeping there, nor do I let her sleep in the mornings when she comes in.  She very sweetly opens our door and comes to my side of the bed.  She'll look at me with those big, pretty blue eyes and whisper, "I had a good nap!"  It's what I always ask her every afternoon when she wakes up.  I guess she thinks nighttime is a nap, too...and she's right in a sense, it's just a very looooong nap!  :oD

I put her in bed with me and we just lay there, talking in her toddler conversation.  She amazes me with how smart she is sometimes as well as her rationalizing capabilities.  She's my baby girl but I know she's not going to be forever.  She's growing up, much quicker than I ever imagined, and while it makes me sad, I'm happy she's developing into such a sweet girl.  She's been grabbing my legs and saying, "I love you, Mommy," a lot lately and also doing that with Chicken.  I can already tell they're going to be best friends and I hope she'll come to see me as a good mother.

These last few mornings have been so special to me.  There's nothing like waking up to those beautiful blue eyes and her innocent, REAL smile.  There's nothing like feeling those sweet, chubby arms around my neck when she hugs me or smelling her  soft, strawberry scented hair when she lays on my chest or pillow while we talk.  These moments are fleeting, I know.  One morning, I'll wake up and she'll be a teenager and never want to get out of bed.  Some day she'll be walking down the aisle and leaving her childhood behind, having her own children to create memories with.  I want to savor every minute I have with her as this little person and make the most of it because it will be gone before I know it.

Until then, I pray I can let go of the days that I have shamed myself as a mother by letting them watch too much TV to get them out of my hair or not playing with them at all or getting too upset with them because of problems elsewhere in my life.  I want to give them memories that I never had as a child and teach them things to make them stronger adults.  God has given me such a precious gift in my children and these days will not be wasted.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

That is sooooo sweet. Yes, definitely cherish these days. With me having both teen and toddler, I definitely know how fast these days go by. I try to remember that when I get frustrated with the Lulee, especially. I try to make sure that I take the extra time with her even when I'm tired. I will just have to put on a pot of coffee two times a day instead of one. ;) It seems like my Sadie Bug was 2 just a little while ago and she is turning thirteen in August. It just makes me want to cry.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, I know. Even when I'm tired in the morning and my kiddo brings me stuffed animals to play with in bed, I try to remember I may never get these times back.

I guess I'm a sap, too. LOL!

Someone Being Me said...

So sweet. I look forward to the day Bear is big enough to do that. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

OHmommy said...

Awwww.... so cute.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.