Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hotdog, I think she's got it!

Cupcake started rolling over about 3 weeks ago stomach to back. She would ball up her legs underneath her and kick so she would flip over on her back. It's the funniest thing! But of course, that opened up a whole new can of worms in the sleep department. I've gone against the rules and put all of my reflux babies on their stomach's early. They've all learned to roll over stomach to back fairly quickly. But the problem is, it's usually MONTHS before they learned to roll back to stomach so in the mean time they're like turtle's on their backs and their eyes pop wide open and they will not go back to sleep. None of my kids got used to sleeping on their back until they were old enough to roll onto their tummy if they weren't comfy.

I stopped swaddling Cupcake about a week and a half ago and moved her to her bedroom four nights ago. I started putting her on her stomach to sleep at night instead of swaddled on her back, resigned to the fact she probably still wouldn't sleep through the night since she can still flip over. Surprisingly, the night she turned 3 months old, October 17th, she's slept through the night and hasn't offered to flip over in her sleep...YET. I know it's probably coming, though.

Cupcake is a certified thumb sucker. I've always wanted a thumb sucker as it insanely adorable and it keeps them little longer. I know I'll regret this when she's say 12 and still doing it, but right now it's nice. She refuses pacifiers now and only needs her thumb to go to sleep. I don't even have to rock her although I admit I do just to have some one on one time with her. Life is too short to stress about her getting used to falling asleep on me every day. I know she won't. After three kids, holding her a few times a week until she falls asleep will not a habit make. All of my kids have healthy sleep habits.

So for four nights now, she's slept through the night, 7 am to 7 pm. Four nights is her record, we'll see tonight if she's got it for sure. Unfortunately for me, I'm suffering from some kind of allergy crud (we all are except Hubby, the lucky dog), and I haven't got to really feel rested yet. It'll be nice when I'm feeling better and can wake up all refreshed. Right now I still feel like I've been hit by a truck. Cupcake even has it, too, as I suctioned bloody snot from her nose this morning. Looks like she's going to have the family allergies, too. And of course, a stopped up nose in an infant has the potential to break our new pattern of sleep, so I'm really hoping it doesn't get any worse than it is right now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad she is doing so good with sleep and rolling over. Hopefully, she will only roll while she is awake until she can roll back over. You can always hope, right. I hope you get over the allergy crud soon and get well rested while Cupcake is doing so well. You never know when sickness or something else might get you and her back up in the middle of the night.

Have a great blessed day!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Congrats on the 7-7! That's awesome! Hopefully, she won't roll over in her sleep for a while...and you start to feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Jordan is a thumb sucker (which was'nt a big deal until she recently started to get permanent teeth) her teeth are turning in at the gum line!Anyway, Chris thought it was'nt a big deal because according to him "she only does it to fall asleep or when she is tired/sad", it was kinda funny when the VBS pictures were posted last year because listening intently to a Bible story in the kindergarten classroom SUCKING HER THUMB was our precious Jordy Shell right there on the Church web site! I thought Chris would die! LOL but as you know babies grow up way too quikly so just enjoy it while it last.